Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Member of American Pop Culture

       I am an active member in American Pop Culture. I watch his motion pictures and television programs. I buy his products advertised on countless ads on commercials and billboards. I  am a frequent guest in many of his restaurants. l eat his food which is neatly presented in attractive packages stacked along aisles  in large supermarkets . I listen, buy and dance to his music and attend his shows.  I use his alluring and convenient technology, and like many in my culture, I too have become absurdly attach to its intensity. I attend his schools, work in his facilities, and I follow his rules, and I'm in love with his cities. I've adopted and accepted a gender identity ruled by my sex, that is coupled with preconceived social structures I've followed since birth.  Consequently, with this identity and lifestyle, I romance in and out of his domain meeting people everyday, some are friends, relatives and lovers, and some are not; and although these members encompass a collective variation of personal experiences and backgrounds, I am confident we have common impressions that  bombard this daily episodic path we call life. Yet  in spite of this blunt  confession of involuntary love and association for this culture, I can not deny that this adoration stands parallel against a fear and uncertainty; a growing anxiety at the very things I have fallen victim and in love, which is increasingly  becoming overwhelmingly ambivalent. What does it all mean? Where is this all leading to? Will there be a time in which I cease the role of consumer and surrender this packaged product I've been condition to be? 
Sadly, I believe all members of this culture have become aware that we've been conditioned to love and hate these conducive shackles of American Culture, with the difference that some choose to ignore and embrace it, others retrieve as far possible, while others not quite ready to submit entirely to either. I've initiated by stating my involvement, and at times adoration, and will devote this page to the intriguing analysis of what American Pop Culture means to me, and how cultural studies is defined and concluded by the affiliates  of the intelligentsia.  
I've included a video by, ironically, no other than the queen of pop culture herself, Madonna, as her presentation of what it means to live in and live by an American Pop Culture or in American Life, and in my opinion holds unnerving truth, suggesting that American Life has become a global ideology and commodity, with seducing promises rendering untrue.  The song as usual remains loyal to the pop catchy tune, only this time the message and the video pose against the conventions exploited in the day-to-day life, of what I know consider an American roller coaster. 



No comments:

Post a Comment